If you’ve been injured in an accident due to the negligence or recklessness of another, the return to normalcy can be a long road. One of the first steps along that road is to secure the financial compensation you deserve. This allows you to focus on your own physical recovery from your injuries without worrying about how to pay your medical bills and other expenses. Unfortunately, the insurance settlement and litigation process can be complex.
The best way to protect yourself and maximize your chance for the full settlement you deserve is to let a skilled attorney with years of experience in personal injury law represent your interests. Best of all, most personal injury attorneys offer a free consultation so they can evaluate your case and determine the best strategy for your claim while you get a more complete picture of how they can help you.
How an Initial Consultation With a McKinney Personal Injury Lawyer Works
The vast majority of personal injury attorneys offer a free initial consultation so clients have nothing to lose by meeting to learn their legal options. During the free consultation, a lawyer decides whether or not you have a valid, workable claim and you decide if you think this is the best Texas attorney to represent your interests.
While some personal injury victims prefer to meet by phone, an in-person meeting makes it more convenient to share evidence and other documents. Bring any evidence you have regarding your accident including:
- Police report for your traffic accident or an accident/incident report from the premises where your slip-and-fall or other incident occurred
- Photos of the accident scene and any vehicles or other objects and hazards involved
- Photos of your injuries
- Contact information of any witnesses
- Medical records and doctor’s notes
- Medical bills
- Pay stubs and W2 forms showing your normal income
- Copy of your insurance policy and any documents already exchanged between you and your insurance provider
An experienced McKinney personal injury attorney will first ask you about your accident and then review these documents to get an idea of what compensation might be available to you and the best way to negotiate a settlement. If your case is complex, the attorney may just peruse the documents long enough to get an overview of the case but may require more time to review the details.
In most cases, an attorney will inform you of the strengths and weaknesses of your case with a general overview of how to proceed.
What to Ask During Your Free Consultation With a McKinney Personal Injury Lawyer
Your free consultation is a two-way session. While the attorney will ask you about your accident, you should also have your own questions prepared. Ask the attorney about the following important points:
- How long the personal injury claim process typically takes
- What, if any, further evidence or documentation you’ll need
- What you should avoid during the claim and/or litigation process
- What compensation and damages you should pursue
- What the process entails after the consultation
- How your Texas personal injury lawyer will be paid
Be sure to also ask about any fees you can expect, separate from your attorney’s fees, such as court costs, administrative and document copy fees, filing fees, and incidental expenses.
After the Consultation With a McKinney Personal Injury Attorney
At the conclusion of your consultation, you may or may not sign a contract with the attorney. Many clients visit several attorneys before choosing.
An experienced McKinney person injury attorney will always perform their own investigation into the details of your accident and your case once they agree to represent you in your claim. The best personal injury attorneys in Texas will keep you informed every step of the way as they attempt to negotiate a settlement for your claim or advocate aggressively on your behalf should the case go to a Texas court.
Contact us for a free case evaluation today.